Dr. David Garrison has been a pioneer missionary for more than 30 years. He is the author and editor of a half-dozen books on missions. His most recent is A Wind In The House Of Islam: How God Is Drawing Muslims Around The World To Faith In Jesus Christ.
That book took him on a 250,000 mile journey. While traveling, he discovered historically unprecedented movements of Muslims to Christ.
He asked more than a thousand Muslim-background believers, “What did God use to bring you to faith in Jesus Christ?“
A Little About the Book
Dr. Garrison has been involved in ministry in the Muslim world for the last 30 years. He remembers the times when it was difficult to find any significant movement of Muslims to faith in Jesus Christ. But over the last 5 years, he and various organizations have noticed that something unusual has been happening.
About 3 1/2 years ago a foundation asked that he investigate and discover what God is doing to bring Muslims to Christ. He said, “yes,” and it took 2 1/2 years and over 250,000 miles of travel. But what he’s discovered is astonishing.We are living in the middle of the greatest movement of Muslims turning to Christ in history. Click To Tweet 84% of all movements of Muslims to Christ are happening now. Click To Tweet
Where is God Moving?
- There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world and they are not all the same
- Each of the rooms in the House of Islam have movements of Muslims to Christ
What did God Use?
- The faith of someone taking the Gospel to them and believing they could be saved
- The prayers of people in the West and around the world
- Church Planting strategies
- Satellite TV
- Comparing Muhammad with Jesus
- The violence within Islam
- The Qur'an available in local languages
- The Bible translated into local languages
- The Jesus Film
The biggest barrier is that Islam is the only world religion that was tailor-made to defeat Christianity. And it did a good job for about 13 centuries, primarily using Sharia Law.
All roads lead on to Sharia Law but no roads lead away from it.
Yet, there are other barriers to people leaving Islam for Christ that have nothing to do with Sharia Law. Rather, they are barriers that have to do with our culture.
- Contentious Christians
- Fear in our hearts
- Scriptural Legalism and Cultural Canonization
- Ignoring or Participating in Social Injustice
- Ignorance and Apathy
Ways We can Address Things
As always, it all starts with prayer. Perhaps one way is to begin praying for Muslims during Ramadan. One resource Dr. Garrison suggested was 30 Days Prayer. There, you will find daily prayer targets as well as information about the Muslim world.When you pray, you take on the heart of God. Prayer originates with Him. Click To Tweet
How We can Take Part in Movements
Dr. Garrison mentioned that there are several suggestions in his book. And, like we mentioned above, it all starts with prayer.
Further, we can begin supporting ministries that have been effective in reaching out. And, perhaps some will step into the darkness and minister themselves.God is bringing the Muslim world to us. Click To Tweet
There have been recent breakthroughs in how we can share our faith with Muslims. For example, Any-3: Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime — Win Muslims to Christ Now! is an excellent resource, as well as The Camel: How Muslims Are Coming to Faith in Christ!
The Church Planting Movements website has several resources listed and available.We're starting where they are and bridging them into the New Testament. Click To Tweet
Some Questions from Listeners
Dr. Garrison was kind enough to let me bring some questions from my friends and fellow listeners. Here are the questions they asked.
- Paul: Have you heard about dreams and visions with a man in white?
- Scott and Alan: What is the best way to start a conversation about Jesus with a Muslim friend without being offensive.
Dr. Garrison mentioned that Any-3: Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime — Win Muslims to Christ Now! answers the question about Christ-centered conversations well using the 5 Gets.
- Get connected, treat them as a person
- Get to a God conversation
- Get to lostness “In your religion, what do you do to please God?”
- Get to the Gospel
- Get to a decision
Connect with Dr. Garrison
Check out the Engaging Missions Online Radio Show #podcast Click To Tweet