After nearly 20 years as a missionary and church planter in Uruguay, Toni M. Daniels is now the director of the Geronimo Center for Innovation and Leadership and the recent author of Back to Joy: An Intimate Journey with Jesus Into Emotional Health and Maturity.
In our time together, we talked about how God taught Toni how much He wants to just enjoy her and has used her time with Him to form her life in powerful ways. Now back in the United States, she's been able to pour into leadership development in Uruguay as the long distance director of the Geronimo Center.
God has done some amazing things and I think you'll be encouraged and challenged by her story as well as her book.
Want to listen to the Bible on the go? Download for free by trying out Audible.com (and help support the show)!
What we talked about
- [00:35] – Introduction
- [02:20] – A little encouragement for transparency and honesty
- [03:31] – How God gets us through fear, nervousness, and overwhelm
- [04:13] – How to “get it all done” when resources are tight and you're working with broken people
- [06:04] – What would you share with someone who is starting to get discouraged?
- [08:19] – The time God gave Toni an image that helped her through a dark season.
- [14:07] – How did God get you through that challenge?
- [16:10] – Overcoming shame, being judged, and disappointment when life seems difficult.
- [17:16] – Are there any meaningful or key Scriptures in your life?
This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
“In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength,
but you would have none of it. (Isaiah 30 v. 15)
- [18:01] – Doesn't “rest” sometimes seem like a dirty word?
- [18:30] – The Foundational Missions Leadership Moment with Scott McClelland
- [23:36] – Who is Back to Joy written for?
What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. (Matthew 10 v. 27)
- [26:20] – Find a way to keep track of the great things that God's done.
- [26:54] – What to do when you' know God's doing great things but you're just not seeing them.
- [27:46] – What led you to structure the book the way you did?
- [30:42] – What is the value of being quiet and letting God guide the conversation?
- [32:37] – The single most important thing to learn for mental health.
- [34:49] – The amazing life pattern Toni found in the Psalms.
- [38:12] – What's upcoming on the Engaging Missions Show
- [40:00] – What is one transformation you'd like to see in the lives of our listeners and the people who read your book?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5, verse 8)
- [42:02] – What would you share with someone who cares about missions but is called into the marketplace and is beginning to wonder if what they're doing really matters in the Kingdom?
- [45:07] – What would you share with someone who is realizing that their neighbors and co-workers are from other places in the world?
- [45:57] – Some internet resources that Toni recommends.
- [47:10] – Several books that Toni recommends.
- [49:14] – One last piece of advice and contact info.
Toni's Website – http://tonimdaniels.com
Resources & Contact Info
- Toni's Website
- YouTube – Toni M Daniels
- Facebook – Back to Joy
- Back to Joy by Toni M. Daniels
- Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard
- Life Model : Living from the Heart Jesus Gave You
- Joy Starts Here by E. James Wilder
- Rare Leadership
- Joyful Journey
- Luke 10 Communities
- Life Model Works
Update from a previous guest – Curtis Sergeant
A tweet would be AMAZING!
— Bryan Entzminger (@engagingmission) June 17, 2016
FeedbackIf you'd have any comments or questions, you can always leave a comment in the show notes, leave a voicemail with SpeakPipe, or send an email to email@example.com.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”