If someone were to ask you, “What do people do on short term missions trips?” you might think of evangelism or building projects. But what about encouraging or listening? Gena Thomas makes a returning visit to remind us of the many ways that people can serve through short term missions.
During the show, she points out the value of flexibility and humility, especially for the team visiting the long term missionaries. When a team is flexible, it allows for relationships and partnerships to be formed. By serving wholeheartedly, short term teams can bring great encouragement and benefit to the organizations they work with.
What we talked about
- [00:24] – Episode summary
- [01:39] – Introduction
- [02:10] – Involvement with short term missions
- [02:51] – The benefits of short term missions
- [03:54] – Stories of trips done right
- [05:54] – Building relationships and bringing accountability
- [07:24] – Geared toward relationships
- [09:02] – Types of short term trips
- [12:15] – Partnership analysis for trips
- [13:37] – Avoiding vacations and aiming for ministry
- [15:24] – Be flexible!
If you think of short term missions more in light of relationship rather than in light of… an accomplishment, I think it’s a lot easier to be flexible.
- [17:04] – The value of walking in grace and humility
- [18:47] – Asking one question before taking a trip
- [19:40] – Continuing to build partnerships
- [20:58] – Accomplishments of relationship
- [22:47] – Taking the right opportunities
- [25:00] – Making wise decisions with short term trips
- [26:39] – Breaking past fear
Become a patron!The Engaging Missions Show is made possible, in part, by generous donations from listeners like you. If you'd like to know more about how you can be involved, visit our Patron Page.
Resources & Contact Info
- Pre-Trip Planning Form + Application (Free Appendix A download from A Smoldering Wick)
- Partnership Analysis (Free Appendix D download from A Smoldering Wick)
- Get more of the appendices from A Smoldering Wick by Gena Thomas
- Walking with the Poor by Bryant Myers
- A Smoldering Wick by Gena L Thomas
- Website: genathomas.com
- Twitter: @genaLthomas
- Facebook: @genaLthomas
- Email: email@example.com
- Audio Editing: Geoff Butterworth
- Show Notes: Gabby Oechsle