The thought of allowing church members to share during a service is a new idea for most people. In Western church services, it’s usually worship, a sermon, and an altar call, with no time for people to speak. Today, Steve Simms comes to share about this unique format of “open sharing” and how he has used it for the last 9 years.
For nearly a decade, Steve and his wife led this kind of church in Nashville through Salvation Army. He has seen the Holy Spirit move and work through this ministry. Every week, he relies on the Lord to speak through the people who walk through their doors.
What we talked about
- 00:24 – Episode summary
- 01:13 – Introduction
“What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.” – 1 Corinthians 14:26, ESV
- 03:02 – Rearranging church structure
- 04:22 – The benefits of open sharing
- 06:05 – Various stages of church experiences
- 07:53 – Sharing as an act of worship
- 09:55 – The challenges of ministry
- 12:27 – Learning from others about who God is
- 14:36 – What has God been teaching you recently?
- 16:28 – Conversations with God
- 18:24 – What is the “lost word” in Scripture?
- 20:47 – Understanding the meaning of the word
- 21:52 – The implications of seeing church rightly
- 23:15 – How do we live a life on mission?
- 26:17 – Looking for the assembly
- 28:11 – Training and leadership in the church
- 31:18 – What strengthens you in hard times?
- 32:48 – How clear is the path before you?
- 34:50 – Where can people buy your book?
- 36:46 – How can we best pray for you?
- 38:54 – Closing remarks
- 39:54 – Prayer requests