Have you ever wondered whether God’s called you to be a missionary? Have you wondered what it takes and why so many missionaries struggle? Have you wondered if your calling isn’t important or why some Christians will leave behind family and friends who haven’t met Christ to take the Gospel thousands of miles away to people they’ve never met?
If so, today’s conversation with David Joannes is for you.
David is a missionary of 20+ years, the founder of Within Reach Global, and the author of a new book, The Mind of a Missionary. In the book, he looks at what motivates missionaries and keeps them going, the reality of struggles and pain, the joy of faithful and selfless obedience, and much more.
My hope and prayer is that after listening to today’s show, you’ll do two things.
- Go buy David’s book, The Mind of the Missionary, and read it
- See that, regardless of what you’re called to do, you are an integral part of God’s global plan. That He designed you for greatness…to display His glories to the ends of the Earth.
- Show Notes: http://engagingmissions.com/237
- Tweet Me: http://engagingmissions.com/tweetme
- The Mind of a Missionary: https://amazon.com/dp/0998061158
What We Talked About
- [00:24] – Episode Overview
- [01:19] – Welcome
- [02:27] – Why was this the right time to write the book?
- [03:16] – Is this book ONLY for missionaries?
- [04:49] – No “special” callings but it's important to differentiate.
- [07:17] – Talking about the writing process.
- [08:58] – What was the hardest thing to write?
- [11:24] – How did you come up with the structure of the book?
- [13:14] – What things that readers are taking away have
- surprised you?
- [15:34] – What would you hope to see changed because of what
- you've written?
- [17:30] – What can we do to support the health of the
- missionaries we're connected with?
- [19:26] – What does it mean that the Gospel always bring life to
- the receiver and death to the giver?
- [22:25] – What does the idea of calling as compared to
- volunteering mean to us?
- [24:57] – What does it mean to “domesticate” the Gospel and
- what happens when we do that?
- [27:57] – What makes the negative inner monologue so difficult
- in cross-cultural ministry situations?
- [31:04] – Who should we emulate?
- [33:28] – If you could whisper something to the Bride of Christ,
- what would you share?
- [34:37] – How can we best pray for you?
Become a patron!The Engaging Missions Show is made possible, in part, by generous donations from listeners like you. If you'd like to know more about how you can be involved, visit our Patron Page.
Resources & Contact Info
- The Mind of a Missionary by David Joannes
- The Space Between Memories by David Joannes
- Chasing the Dragon: One Woman's Struggle Against the Darkness of Hong Kong's Drug Dens by Jackie Pullinger
- When Everything is Missions by Denny Spitters
- Skype: chinaman777
- LinkedIn: /davidjoannes
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/engagingmissions
- Messenger: https://m.me/engagingmissions
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/engagingmission
- Leave a Voicemail: https://engagingmissions.com/voicemail
- Become a Patron: https://engagingmissions.com/patron
- Subscribe: https://engagingmissions.com/subscribe
FeedbackIf you'd have any comments or questions, you can always leave a comment in the show notes, leave a voicemail with SpeakPipe, or send an email to email@example.com.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”