I am very excited for you to join us on the Engaging Missions Show. During our chat, we’ll cover a variety of topics, touching on who you are, your ministry, and resources. My goal is for us to be mutually encouraged, to make God famous through your story and that our listeners will be equipped, challenged, and inspired by what we discuss.
Below is a general framework for the interview flow. It’s organized into three broad focus areas:
- Getting to Know You
- Your Ministry
- Focus on Our Listeners
I generally try to target about 10-15 minutes total for each section. That would give us a full interview around 30-45 minutes. However, I don’t try to break that down into a per question time allotment.
You know yourself better than I do, so please prepare based on the ways God tends to work in your life. If you’re a “word for word” kind of person, you can work up talking points based on the questions below. Just be aware that I do my best to follow the conversation where it leads, so there will almost certainly be some questions that are skipped and others that come up as we're talking.
We Focus on Stories
Our best interviews are conversational in nature and may include some questions that are specific to your life or ministry. Additionally, sharing REAL LIFE STORIES, as opposed to abstract opinion, really makes for a more engaging show. We want to draw our listeners in so that they can learn from our experiences.
As you think through some of the topics below, consider the stories you can tell that highlight what you've seen, learned, and experienced. You might consider:
- What led you to Christ.
- How you got started in ministry.
- A time when God significantly shifted what you were doing or how you were doing it.
- An interesting and defining anecdote from your life or ministry
And keep in mind that there's no way we'll ever cover everything.
Here's the typical interview flow
Getting to Know You (10-15 minutes)
The Kingdom is relational, so we start by building a little foundation for a relationship. To do that we're first going to focus on getting to know you a little.
- I may ask some specific questions that have come up as I've been preparing that are designed to highlight things that might be interesting or that might reveal stories we can dig into.
- I may ask you to share who you are and what you do in a sentence or two. This could take the form of:
- I help / serve [group of people]
- by [what are the main 1-3 things you do]
- so that [the benefit or reason you do it]
For example: I help missionaries, church planters, and ministry leaders (the who) share what God is doing and what they've learned (the what) so that Believers can be equipped, challenged, and inspired to fully engage in God's mission (the why).
- A key story of God's goodness:
We want to praise God, proclaim His name, and share what He's done (1 Chronicles 16:8). We'll start off with a key story where you really saw God's faithfulness in your life, work, or ministry. This doesn't necessarily need to be a long story, but I will ask you to help us understand the situation, the stakes, what God did, and what God taught you.
- A meaningful quote or foundational Scripture
- Do you have a personal habit that you believe contributes to what God has done in your life?
- What has God been showing or teaching you over the last few months or year?
Your Ministry or Special Topic (10-15 minutes)
Next, we’re going to focus on ministry. I intend for our time to be conversational, so I won’t be following a script as we dig into your ministry. However, things to consider might be:
- How (and/or why) did you start doing what you/re doing?
- What's special or different about what you do?
- What excites you or fuels your passion?
- What scares you or breaks your heart?
- What has surprised you?
- Do you foresee any changes in the near future?
- What has encouraged or strengthened you?
- What is one thing you wish you would have known when you were getting started?
- What is one thing people starting out can learn from your experience to be more effective?
Focus on Our Listeners (10-15 minutes)
Our listeners are primarily in the US and about 50% in the marketplace and 50% in vocational ministry. In this section, we’re going to shift our focus to the listeners and begin to draw on your experiences and perspective.
- What would you share with someone who's feeling stuck or wondering if what they're doing in business or ministry really matters in the Kingdom?
- What ministry opportunities are right in front of us that people often miss?
- Is there a book or resource you'd recommend for our listeners?
- What are one or two ways that we can best partner with and support you?
- How can we best pray for you?
- If you could challenge us to do one thing in the next 7 days, what would it be and why?
Do you have a suggestion?
Some of my guests have had specific expertise or things they wanted to make sure we included – even if it wasn’t part of the standard interview flow. I’m always open to those suggestions. So, if there is a topic you want to make sure we discuss, please let me know in advance so that I can make sure we make time. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recording: By participating in the EngagingMissions.com interview, you agree to allow Bryan Entzminger to record, distribute, and disseminate the resulting content in any manner and medium. You also agree to allow Bryan Entzminger to retain irrevocable rights to the content and produced media for potential future use in speeches, books, and in all other public distribution.